At Our Couch

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Chinatown

This is one of those classics I've just never gotten around to seeing. Thanks to Netflix, I'm trying to catch up on years of great cinema neglect.

Chinatown, staring Jack Nicholson and directed by Roman Polanski, was pretty dern good. Jack plays a private investigator-specializing in extra-marital affairs-who stumbles upon something he probably shouldn't have, having to do with water shortages in LA in the late '30s and a who-dunnit? murder mystery.

It reminded me a lot of LA Confidentail...in style and subject matter. I suppose that would have been the other way around, had I seen Chinatown first. The mystery isn't too difficult to solve, but there are some big turns and twists, and an ending Hollywood just would not do today, that made it great.

THUMBS UP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home